18 injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire (Lead)June 30th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 30 (IANS) Eighteen workers of an agrochemical company were injured in a fire following an explosion at the plant in Andhra Pradesh’s Srikakulam district Saturday morning, police said.
Fire broke out at Nagarjuna Agrichem Limited following an explosion in a chemical reactor in the fifth block of the plant, which produces agrochemicals. The plant is located at Chilkapalem in the Srikakulam district of north coastal Andhra, about 700 km from here.
Srikakulam district collector Vankatrami Reddy said 15 of the injured were shifted to the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) at Srikakulam while three critically injured were taken to Visakhapatnam.
About 200 employees were reportedly working at the plant at the time of the incident. The workers ran in panic after the chemical reactor exploded. Company officials said the fire broke out during tea break which saved many lives.
Dense black smoke engulfed the entire area including nearby villages and the national highway. Some villages were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Fire tenders from neighbouring districts rushed to the scene and prevented the flames from spreading to other blocks.
This is the second major industrial disaster in the region this month. Eighteen people were killed in a fire in Visakhapatnam Steel Plant at Visakhapatnam June 13.
- Ten injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire - Jun 30, 2012
- Three pharma plant workers injured - Nov 28, 2011
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Two killed in protests against power plant in Andhra - Feb 28, 2011
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- Three killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- 13 killed in China factory blast (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Opposition demands probe into firing on Srikakulam Thermal Power Project protestors - Jul 15, 2010
- Shutdown in Andhra town against power plant - May 30, 2011
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag steel plant - Jun 14, 2012
- Fire halts Swedish n-reactor - Oct 24, 2011
- Two killed in Andhra fire mishap - Apr 02, 2012
- 3 killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Blast at Andhra hospital, none hurt - Sep 22, 2010
- Andhra police gun down two Maoists - Dec 17, 2010
Tags: agrochemical company, andhra pradesh, chemical reactor, company officials, explosion, fire tenders, flames, gandhi institute, industrial disaster, medical sciences, morning police, nearby villages, neighbouring districts, precautionary measure, rajiv gandhi, rims, saturday morning, srikakulam district, steel plant, tea break