18 drown in Karnataka as bullock cart falls into streamMay 20th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 20 (IANS) Eighteen members of a marriage party, including 11 children and four women, drowned Wednesday when the bullock cart in which they were travelling plunged into a swirling stream in Chitradurga district of Karnataka, police said.
“A 24-member marriage party was returning to their native village Venkatapura around 3.30 p.m. after the wedding feast at Rampur on a bullock cart. The tragic mishap occurred when the crowded cart plunged into the Hagariville stream after one of its tyres gave away while crossing the narrow bridge,” Chitradurga police inspector M. Ramsubbu told IANS on telephone.
Nearby villagers rushed to the spot near Ramput, about 280 km from here, to rescue the victims. Four people had survived and two were injured.
“The bodies of three men, four women, seven boys and four girls were removed from the stream, which was flooded due to heavy rains over the last couple of days in the region,” Ramsubbu said.
A team of district officials and policemen rushed to the spot from Chitradurga, about 80km from Rampur, to provide relief to the survivors.
“We will give compensation to the bereaved families from the chief minister’s relief fund,” Chitradurga deputy commissioner Aditya Biswas told reporters at Rampur.
- Century on, end of a bullock cart saga in Mumbai (With Images) - Feb 08, 2012
- 12 people drown in Andhra, one still missing - Dec 08, 2010
- Bangladeshi bandit killed in Tripura - Mar 29, 2012
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- Reynolds is not my lover, says Sandra Bullock - Jan 18, 2011
- 30 killed as bus falls in culvert, catches fire - May 30, 2010
- 17 pilgrims killed in Maharashtra accident - Mar 17, 2011
- Four killed as train hits car in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 26, 2010
- Six killed in UP road accident - Aug 27, 2012
- 15 dead in Andhra train accident - May 22, 2012
- Ten women killed as tractor falls into stream - Apr 25, 2011
- Car rolls down gorge in Himachal, five killed - Jun 29, 2012
- Toll rise to 32 in Maharashtra bus accident (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Five killed as truck plunges into river - Feb 08, 2012
- 35 killed as mini-bus collides with truck in Andhra - May 27, 2010