18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead)May 7th, 2012 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Moga (Punjab), May 7 (IANS) At least 18 devotees, including six women and five children, were killed early Monday in a head-on collision between a jeep and a truck near Punjab’s Moga town, police said. Eleven victims belonged to one family and six to another.
The accident took place on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur highway around 2 a.m., near here, 170-km from Chandigarh.
The jeep was badly mangled following the accident and rescuers had to cut it at places to get the bodies out.
Police said 14 people were killed on the spot while four others succumbed to their injuries in a hospital in Moga.
“All those killed in the accident were travelling in the jeep,” a police official at the site said.
Police said the speeding truck, which was trying to overtake another vehicle, collided head-on with the jeep. The truck driver fled the spot, leaving his vehicle behind.
The victims belonged to Daulatpura village in Moga district and were returning from a gurdwara (Sikh temple) in Nanaksar near Jagraon town.
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- 8 killed, 18 injured in two Rajasthan accidents - May 11, 2012
- 25 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Jul 30, 2012
- Seven killed in Haryana accident - Apr 25, 2012
- Four killed, six injured in Maharashtra accident - Jan 27, 2012
- 29 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Four burnt alive as trucks collide in Haryana - Jul 28, 2011
- Four killed in Punjab road accident - Sep 17, 2010
- 15 killed as tempo-bus collide in Karnataka (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- 15 killed as tempo collides with bus in Karnataka - Jun 27, 2011
- One killed as school bus collides with mini-truck - Feb 05, 2012
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Six killed in Assam road accident - Aug 01, 2012
- Eight killed in West Bengal road mishap - Sep 05, 2010
- Six killed in Rajasthan accident - Jul 27, 2012