17 killed in Brazil truck accidentAugust 20th, 2008 - 9:31 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 20 (IANS) At least 17 people have been killed and 15 injured when a truck they were travelling in flipped over on a highway in southeastern Brazil, EFE news agency reported Wednesday, citing police officials. The accident occurred Tuesday in San Antonio do Amparo municipality of Brazil’s Minas Gerais province when the truck carrying 32 farm workers flipped over on the highway linking the cities of Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte.
“Everything indicates that the truck lost its brakes, crashed into the barrier and flipped over, causing the deaths … including the driver,” federal police inspector Ailton Pereira told Globonews television.
He said that the people injured in the accident were taken to a nearby hospital.
The workers were returning to their homes after harvesting beans at a coffee plantation in the in San Antonio do Amparo.
An investigation into the cause of the accident has been ordered.
- 26 killed in Brazil Carnival road accident - Mar 06, 2011
- 15 people dead in accident during pre-carnival celebrations in southern Brazil - Mar 01, 2011
- 16 killed as power line falls during Brazil carnival - Mar 01, 2011
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- FIFA announces Confederation Cup venues - Oct 21, 2011
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- 13 killed in van-truck crash in Brazil - Jan 09, 2010
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Atletico Mineiro held guilty of exploitation of minors - May 16, 2012
- 10 killed, 99 injured in Brazil accident - Aug 13, 2012
- 10 killed in Brazil accident - Jun 26, 2010
- Brazilian goalie charged with ex-girlfriend's murder - Jul 31, 2010
- Fabiano enters Sao Paulo's injury list - Jan 30, 2012
- Infrastructure on track for 2014 World Cup in Brazil - Sep 15, 2011
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,