17 injured in Kolkata amusement park accidentAugust 21st, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 21 (IANS) At least 17 people, mostly school children, were injured when the connecting rope of a “swirl ride” snapped in a amusement park at Salt Lake township of Kolkata Tuesday, police said.
“Some 17 people, including several school children, were injured when a swirl ride in Nicco Park collapsed. The injured have been shifted to hospitals,” said Bidhannagar (North 24-Parganas) Commissioner of Police Rajib Kumar.
While the families of the victims pointed fingers at poor maintenance, the park officials said the accident happened due to overcrowding.
“The ride has a capacity of just two, but many children in spite of our warnings went up the ride, which caused it to cave in,” an official of the park said.
The victims’ families also accused the park officials of not doing enough to rescue the injured.
“The locals informed police who immediately came to the spot, rescued the injured and sent them to hospitals. The park officials did nothing to help them,” said a man who came to the park with his son.
Of the 17 injured, the condition of six is said to be serious.
“The condition of six, who have multiple fractures, is critical and they have been shifted to a government hospital,” said Krishna Pradhan of Kolkata Heart Clinic and Research Hospital.
- Youth killed for protesting abuse of sister - Feb 15, 2011
- Kolkata cop succumbs to injuries - Mar 11, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki to face gender test Monday - Jun 16, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Kolkata police officer commits suicide - Aug 25, 2012
- Eight school kids injured in accident - Mar 28, 2012
- 40 die as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 26 injured in Karachi grenade attack: Geo TV - Jun 04, 2011
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Boy falls to death from school building - Jan 25, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Four NGO members beaten up while rescuing 22 child workers - Mar 18, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Boy killed in playground blast - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: amusement park, commissioner of police, fingers, fractures, government hospital, heart, hospitals, krishna, lake township, locals, nicco, overcrowding, park officials, poor maintenance, research hospital, rope, salt lake, spite, swirl