17 held for betting on cricket World Cup finalApril 5th, 2011 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 4 (IANS) Seventeen people, including two students, were arrested and six syndicates busted for betting on the India-Sri Lanka cricket World Cup final match played in Mumbai, Delhi Police said Monday.
Apart from the two student, those apprehended for organising betting on the Saturday match included property dealers and businessmen. They were arrested in separate raids which were launched Saturday.
“Total bets received by the betting syndicates were around Rs.2.27 crore,” said a senior police officer.
The two students were arrested from north Delhi’s Lawrence Road area. Arun Sablok, 20, and Harsprit Singh Walia, 19, had received bets worth Rs.27 lakh.
From Sector-17 Rohini in north Delhi, police arrested Rahul, 29, and Rohit, 34. “They had received bets worth Rs.40 lakh,” said the officer.
Vinod Kumar, 40, and Rakesh Kumar, 30, were held from Motia Khan area in central Delhi. “They had received bets worth Rs.35 lakh,” said the officer.
The police raided a house at Vishnu Garden in west Delhi and apprehended Shakti Yadav, 24, Narender Yadav, 36, and Bhupender Yadav, 37, who had received bets worth Rs.30 lakh.
The fourth betting syndicate was busted from a flat in Patparganj area in east Delhi. Five people were arrested. Gurmeet Singh, 28, Paramjeet Singh, 30, Daleep, 33, Varun Sharma, 32, and Ankur Sharma, 30, were held for receiving bets worth Rs.50 lakh.
Bholu Bhati, Rakesh Sharma and Lalit Gupta were held from Shahdara area in east Delhi for running a betting den. “During the scanning of data in their laptop, betting of around Rs.45 lakh was detected,” said the officer.
Delhi Police busted a total of 20 betting syndicates in the city during the cricket World Cup 2011.
- Two held for cricket betting - Mar 30, 2011
- Four cricket betting syndicates busted, 11 arrested - Mar 25, 2011
- 8 cricket bookies arrested in Delhi - Feb 20, 2011
- Interstate narcotic syndicate busted in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012
- Four held for betting on World Cup matches - Mar 09, 2011
- IPL betting rackets busted, eight arrested (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Four held for selling blackbuck - Oct 03, 2011
- Gang of highway robbers posing as cops busted - May 31, 2010
- Servant, four others, held for looting house - May 04, 2011
- Four held in Delhi for IPL betting - May 02, 2011
- Two held for running IPL betting racket - May 25, 2011
- Malaysian football betting syndicate busted, over 100 arrested - Apr 05, 2012
- Heroin processing unit unearthed, two arrested - Jul 02, 2011
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Rs.1 crore burglary at Delhi bank cashier's house - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: ankur, central delhi, cricket world cup, cricket world cup 2011, cricket world cup final, delhi police, east delhi, final match, lakh, lalit, mumbai delhi, north delhi, rakesh sharma, rohini, sector 17, sri lanka cricket, vinod kumar, walia, west delhi, world cup final