17 devotees killed in Punjab accidentMay 7th, 2012 - 8:13 am ICT by IANS
Moga (Punjab), May 7 (IANS) At least 17 people, including five women and five children, were killed early Monday in a head-on collision between a jeep and a truck near Punjab’s Moga town, 170 km from Chandigarh, police said.
The victims, who were devotees from Daulatpura village in Moga district, were returning from a shrine in Nanaksar near Jagraon town.
The accident took place on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur highway around 2 a.m.
Police said 14 people were killed on the spot while three others died in a hospital in Moga.
“All the occupants travelling in the jeep were killed in the accident,” a police official at the site said.
Police said the speeding truck, which was trying to overtake another vehicle, collided head-on with the jeep.
The truck driver fled the spot, leaving his vehicle behind.
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Four killed, six injured in Maharashtra accident - Jan 27, 2012
- 8 killed, 18 injured in two Rajasthan accidents - May 11, 2012
- Seven killed in Haryana accident - Apr 25, 2012
- Five killed in Nepal road accident - Apr 07, 2012
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- One killed as school bus collides with mini-truck - Feb 05, 2012
- 25 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Jul 30, 2012
- Six killed in Rajasthan accident - Jul 27, 2012
- Five killed in China road accident - Aug 29, 2012
- Nine killed in Zambia bus accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Nine killed in Haryana accident - Oct 28, 2011
- Six of a family die in accident - May 23, 2011
- 28 killed in Cameroon road accident - Aug 30, 2011
- UP accident kills four - Jun 05, 2012