17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accidentApril 14th, 2011 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Quito, April 14 (IANS/EFE) Seventeen people were killed and 40 injured Wednesday when two buses collided on Ecuador’s main Pacific coast highway, authorities said.
The accident occurred shortly after dawn on a stretch of road between the cities of Guayaquil and Portoviejo.
The two buses collided head-on as one of the drivers tried to pass another vehicle, police said.
Sixteen people were pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, while a 17th person died at a hospital in Guayaquil, Ecuador’s largest city.
- Former boxer murdered in Ecuador - Jul 16, 2012
- 20 killed, 42 injured in Peru bus crash - Feb 23, 2010
- Eight killed in China road accident - Jun 30, 2012
- 20 killed in Haiti road accident - Jul 29, 2010
- 30 die in Ecuador bus accident - Dec 25, 2010
- 3 die as car crashes into horse in Brazil - Dec 12, 2010
- Family of 12 killed in van-truck crash in China (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- 12 die in Peru bus collision - Aug 29, 2010
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Ecuador begins destroying WW II bombs - Jan 18, 2012
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- Four die in Ecuador gold mine blast - Feb 24, 2012
- Drunk driver kills 15 at Ecuador bus stop - Sep 07, 2010