17 border guards killed in IraqMarch 19th, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, March 19 (DPA) Police said Wednesday 17 border guards have been shot dead by gunmen in different areas in the southern Iraqi city of Basra. The police did not say whether the killings were carried out by the same gunmen or what the motive behind them was.
Criminal gangs and militias loyal to rival political powers have been active in Shia-dominated Basra, 550 km south of Baghdad.
In a separate incident in the city, Sheikh Abdel-Azim al-Idani, a close aide of senior Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, was critically wounded in an attack by gunmen Tuesday, according to the same the sources.
Al-Idani’s aide was killed in the attack.
Basra has recently seen a wave of assassinations targeting senior security officials, academics and clerics.
The Iraqi government has sent reinforcements to the city to crack down on criminal activities and a surge in sectarian violence.
- At least 26 killed, 32 wounded in Iraq violence - Mar 20, 2008
- UN envoy survives Iraq bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Iraq hosts Islamic conference to promote tolerance - Jul 13, 2008
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq bomb attack - Mar 06, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Iraqi cabinet approves draft security pact with US - Nov 16, 2008
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills at least 40 in Iraq (Third lead) - Feb 13, 2009