160 passengers travel on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad busesAugust 21st, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 21 (IANS) The Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service resumed Thursday after the authorities cancelled its previous fortnightly run because of the highly surcharged atmosphere in the Valley, with 160 passengers travelling either way on the two buses that were deployed on the route.”One hundred and sixty passengers travelled today between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad and back,” an official said.
“Of these, 68 were passengers returning to Muzaffarabad after coming here to meet members of their divided families. In addition, 32 locals went to Muzaffarabad to meet their relatives there.
“From the Pakistani side of the Line of Control (LoC), 42 people came here to meet their relatives while 18 locals who had gone there earlier returned to their homes,” the official added.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had flagged off the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service here April 7, 2005, by as part of the confidence-building measures between the two countries and aimed at bringing relief to thousands of divided families living on either side of the LoC that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- India eases travel permits for Pakistani Kashmiris - Mar 26, 2011
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks Tuesday - Jul 25, 2011
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- Omar hails liberalised travel across divided Kashmir - Jul 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan foreign ministers begin talks - Jul 27, 2011
- Srinagar-Muzaffarabad buses ferry 126 passengers - Oct 09, 2008
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
- Kashmiri traders want more of India-Pakistan trade - Jul 28, 2011
- India-Pakistan talk, hope for peaceful ties (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011