16 killed by speeding bus in Bihar (Lead)September 18th, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 18 (IANS) At least 16 people were killed and over a dozen injured when a speeding bus ploughed into a crowd of people watching a Hindi movie on television by a roadside in Bihar, police said Thursday.The accident occurred late Wednesday in Chandaspur village in Bathnaha block in Sitamarhi district, about 160 km from here, District Magistrate Vijay Kumar said.
Twelve people were crushed to death on the spot and four succumbed to their injuries in a government hospital in the neighbouring district of Muzaffarpur, police said. The bus driver and conductor fled the spot.
Kumar said that 11 seriously injured people had been taken to a government hospital in Muzaffarpur district. About six other injured were admitted in a private nursing home in Sitamarhi.
After hundreds of villagers blocked roads and demanded compensation, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced that Rs.150,000 would be given to the families of each of the victims.
- Speeding bus kills 14 in Bihar - Sep 18, 2008
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- Seven killed in two Bengal accidents - Jun 17, 2012
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Eight killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jan 21, 2011
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012
- Seven killed as truck ploughs into Congress meeting - Feb 11, 2011
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Seven people killed in Himachal accidents - May 09, 2012
- Six killed in Meghalaya bus accident - Jul 31, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Bus knocks down 11 in Meerut, two killed - Oct 19, 2011
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012