16 drowned in Ganesh immersions across Andhra PradeshSeptember 20th, 2010 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 20 (IANS) As many as 16 people lost their lives during the Ganesh idol immersions in different parts of Andhra Pradesh Monday, police said.
Tragedy struck Ganesh festivities in Krishna district when six people were drowned while immersing an idol in a lake. According to police, the incident took place at Gollanapalle village of Gannavaram mandal.
Local fishermen fished out the bodies of the six youths, all hailing from Gannavaram.
Three people died in a similar incident in Kadapa district and two persons were washed away in Godavari River when they were immersing an idol at Bhadrachalam in Khammam district.
Two youngsters met a watery grave in a lake at Mandamarri in Adilabad district and two people in East Godavari district. One death has been reported from Nizamabad district.
The Ganesh immersion is taking place in different parts of the state for the last two days. The festivities will continue over the next two days.
The mammoth Ganesh procession will be taken out in Hyderabad Wednesday. Over 13,000 idols will be immersed in Hussainsagar Lake in the heart of the city.
- Peaceful Ganesh processions on amid tight security in Hyderabad - Sep 11, 2011
- Godavari floods claim 13 lives in Andhra - Aug 09, 2010
- Hyderabad under high security for Ganesh immersion - Sep 10, 2011
- Maharashtra bids adieu to Lord Ganesh (Lead) - Sep 11, 2011
- Traffic snarls in Hyderabad as Ganesh immersion continues - Sep 12, 2011
- Hyderabad Ganesh festival begins amid tight security - Sep 01, 2011
- Hyderabad tightens security for Ganesh immersions - Sep 21, 2010
- Extra security for Ganesh procession in Hyderabad - Sep 07, 2011
- Ganesh procession passes off peacefully in Hyderabad (Night Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Two-wheeler ban likely at Ganesh immersion sites - Sep 08, 2011
- High alert in Andhra Pradesh after Delhi blast - Sep 07, 2011
- 13 drown during Ganesh immersion in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2009
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Increasing pollution levels choking India's lakes - Sep 29, 2011
- Peaceful start to Ganesh idol immersions in Mumbai - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: bhadrachalam, east godavari, festivities, fishermen, ganesh immersion, godavari district, godavari river, heart of the city, krishna district, procession, tragedy, two persons, watery grave, youngsters