16 arrested for throwing stones at Uttar Pradesh policemenDecember 26th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 26 (IANS) Sixteen Muslims were arrested Friday for throwing stones at police officers in Uttar Pradesh’s Saharanpur district, after an altercation during which a policeman allegedly made derogatory comments about Islam.”In all 20 people of Muslim community were booked for violence, out of which 16 have been arrested today (Friday),” district police chief Amit Chandra told IANS by telephone.
The clash occured Thursday when police inspector Indra Singh had gone with his team to Saharanpur’s Muslim-dominated Ali-ki-chungi locality to investigate a rape case.
“While carrying out the investigations, the police inspector allegedly commented against Islam and Allah, following which the locals resorted to stone pelting in which at least 10 policemen were injured,” Chandra said.
He said Singh has been suspended and additional policemen have been deployed in the area.
Singh was investigating the rape of a minor Muslim girl. Her parents had registered the case around seven months back and alleged that their daughter was raped by a Muslim neighbour.
- Controversial mosque site area peaceful - Jul 23, 2012
- Two Rajasthan cops surrender in Dara Singh killing - Jul 30, 2012
- Dara Singh case: BJP leader named in charge sheet - Jun 03, 2011
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- Minor killed for resisting rape - Oct 29, 2011
- Violent clashes in Indian-administered Kashmir after youth dies in custody - Aug 01, 2011
- Jaipur shootout: Four cops sent to five days' CBI custody - Mar 12, 2011
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- Mosque area tense, two held for stoning cops (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Cop, three others held for senior's killing - Nov 09, 2011
- Mumbai protests against Myanmar killings turn violent (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: Court issues notice to CBI chief, officials - Apr 19, 2012
- Railway employee held for raping minor - Jul 28, 2010
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012