155 poultry culled in West Bengal’s bird flu-hit MaldaDecember 17th, 2008 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 17 (IANS) Full-fledged operations to tackle bird flu have began in West Bengal’s Malda district, where the spread of the deadly H5N1 virus was confirmed Monday, but only 155 poultry have been culled due to fog and inadequate manpower, a government official said Wednesday. “We could cull only 155 poultry Tuesday - the first day of the culling operation - at Narhatta and Satgheria villages under the English Bazar police station in Malda because of fog and bad weather condition. Also, the number of workers for distribution of compensation was inadequate,” Dilip Chakraborty, principal secretary of state Animal Resources Development (ARD) department, told IANS Wednesday.
However, Chakraborty said the culling operation are now full-fledged.
“There are adequate number of workers Wednesday and they are operating at full strength since morning. We hope to cull substantial number of poultry by the end of the day,” Chakraborty said.
The principal secretary further said a mopping-up operation would start in Malda as soon as culling was over.
“The ARD authorities have decided to cull 16,000 chickens and ducks in all. Culling operations, within a radius of three kilometres in the affected area, should be over by Thursday, or latest by Friday. We will start a two-day mopping-up operation after that,” he said.
Seventeen culling teams with a total of 85 workers - wearing white protective suits, gloves and masks - Tuesday started killing and burying chickens and ducks at Narhatta and Satgheria villages in Malda, 350 km from here.
In January, over 200,000 birds were culled when avian flu was detected in several districts. An outbreak of bird flu had been detected in Malda in March and more than 50,000 birds were culled. This is the second outbreak in the district of the dreaded disease caused by the H5N1 virus.
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- About 17,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 19, 2008
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- West Bengal's Malda hit by bird flu, culling begins (Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 10,000 birds culled in West Bengal's Malda (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011