150 parents protesting school fee hike arrestedMarch 26th, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kanpur, March 26 (IANS) Nearly 150 parents who took to the streets protesting fee hike in a private school here were arrested Thursday, police said.
According to police, parents assembled in front of the S.D. Education Centre and shouted slogans against the school authorities for raising the fee by nearly 30 percent.
“The parents demonstrating on the roads in the Kailashpuri locality also scuffled with the policemen when they stopped them from blockading the roads,” Inspector Ashok Kumar told IANS.
“Agitated over the fee hike, parents forcibly tried to enter the school to target the principal and other officials,” said Kumar.
Parents said the principal announced the fee hike at a function at the school last Tuesday.
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Shutdown hits trains and road traffic in Bihar - Sep 20, 2012
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Kolkata autorickshaw drivers disrupt normal life - Apr 03, 2012
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Thousands rally for Anna in Taj city - Aug 25, 2011
- Seven hurt as protesters clash with police in West Bengal - Jul 14, 2010
- Controversial cop named for medal, locals protest - Jan 26, 2011
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- TDP leaders held during march as Naidu continues fast (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Shutdown cripples normal life in UP - Sep 20, 2012
- 'Bharat Bandh' passes off peacefully in Rajasthan (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Five cops booked for murder - Mar 04, 2011
- Protest against fee hike in private schools - Oct 09, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011