150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UNJune 4th, 2011 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, June 4 (IANS) At least 150 people - including Pakistani and Bangladeshi nationals - drowned and many others were still missing, when a boat capsized off the coast of Tunisia, the UN has said.
Citing a report from the UN refugee agency, associate spokesperson Vannina Maestracci said this appeared to be “one of the worst and deadliest incidents in the Mediterranean so far this year”, Xinhua reported.
“The overcrowded boat was carrying some 850 people, most from West Africa, Pakistan and Bangladesh. It left the Libyan capital and was headed for the Italian island of Lampedusa,” she said.
The vessel left Tripoli on the afternoon of May 28, said a spokesman from the office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Geneva Friday.
Maestracci added: “According to the survivors, the vessel was manned by people with little or no maritime experience, and by the third day, the passengers had run out of food and water.”
A rescue operation by the Tunisian navy and coast guard is still in progress, she said.
- 54 Africans died at sea during voyage to Italy - Jul 11, 2012
- Tunisia and Italy agree to curb illegal immigration - Apr 07, 2011
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- Three Bangladeshi evacuees from Libya drown off Crete - Mar 07, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- 5,000 Tunisian immigrants arrive in Italy - Feb 15, 2011
- Italy to send ships, planes to ease refugee crisis in Libya - Mar 04, 2011
- Fierce fighting keeps Libya on the edge (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Gaddafi's family not in Tunisia: Official - Aug 20, 2011
- 25 migrants found dead as boat reaches Italy - Aug 01, 2011
- Hundreds missing off Libya, many feared dead: Relief agencies (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Libya becomes a roadblock on the path to Europe - Sep 11, 2010
- Five migrants found dead in boat near Italy - Mar 17, 2012
- NATO halts Gaddafi boats laying mines outside Misurata - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,