150 injured as protesters clash with police in BangladeshApril 11th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by admin
Dhaka, April 11 (Xinhua) Around 150 people were injured in clashes between the police and hardcore Islamist activists, who were protesting a new women’s development policy, in Bangladesh capital Friday. The demonstrators were protesting the government’s proposed women’s development policy that seeks to give equal rights to men and women to paternal property.
Among the injured were scores of security personnel and journalists, police said.
In accordance with the Islamic inheritance law a son will get double the share of a daughter of their father’s property. The new policy proposed equal share of son and daughter in their father’s property, which the protesters said was against Islamic law.
Hundreds of helmeted police used batons and tear-gas shells to disperse several hundred Islamic activists who staged demonstration after the Friday prayer outside the national mosque in central Dhaka.
The protesters threw stones and brickbats at the police.
The clash that continued for more than two hours brought vehicular traffic in some parts of the city to a standstill, police and eyewitnesses said.
The protesters demanded resignation of Rasheda K Chowdhury, adviser in the Women and Children Affairs department, the author of the new policy that allegedly violated the Islamic inheritance law.
The government however assured the Islamic scholars and parties that it has no plan to make any law against Islam.
Bangladesh is the third largest Muslim country where Muslim constitutes 88 percent of the total population of 140 million.
- Islamists protest Dhaka's equal rights to women policy - Mar 09, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition unites against Hasina's women's policy - Apr 03, 2011
- Lawmaker attacked, 100 buses vandalised in Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- 25 injured in Islamabad protests over anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- One dead in Bangladesh clash - Jan 30, 2012
- 70 injured in Bangladesh clashes - Jul 10, 2011
- Opposition strike in Bangladesh over 'equal status' for women - Apr 04, 2011
- 50 hurt in Bangladesh clash - Sep 25, 2010
- Scores killed as unrest spreads in Arab world (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2011
- 36 injured in anti-Islam film protest in Islamabad (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- 50 injured in Bangladesh clash - Jun 12, 2011
- Act against Mumbai rioters: activist - Aug 19, 2012
- Keep off personal laws: Muslim leaders - May 11, 2012
- Extortionists, stalkers push crime graph in Bangladesh - Nov 02, 2010