150 Bangladeshi infiltrators arrested at West Bengal borderSeptember 12th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 12 (IANS) At least 150 Bangladeshi nationals were arrested by the Border Security Force (BSF) personnel Friday while infiltrating into Indian territory through the West Bengal border.”We have apprehended about 150 Bangladeshi nationals, including 17 women and 13 children. They were caught in three different batches at Mangalchandi near Sundarbans in South 24-Parganas district,” Deputy Inspector General of BSF (south Bengal area) Bikash Chandra told IANS here.
He said the infiltrators were coming from the Bangladesh side to the Indian area by boats, crossing the Raymangal River Friday morning.
“They have now been remanded in the BSF custody at Yogeshgange area in the district. We have sent our senior officials there to interrogate them,” Chandra said.
India and Bangladesh share a 4,096-km (2,544-mile) frontier, including 1,150.62 km in the southern parts of the state, of which 783.26 km is land and 367.34 km riverine boundary.
BSF sources said there has been no clue, so far, that the infiltrators were carrying smuggled goods from Bangladesh. They were coming with their families to settle down in India.
- River erosion upsets BSF at India-Bangladesh border - May 08, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- BSF steps up vigil along West Bengal's porous border - Dec 01, 2008
- India, Bangladesh border guards exchange saplings (With Image) - Aug 19, 2012
- ULFA and KLO rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 05, 2012
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- India-Bangladesh border guards to meet over murder attempt - Aug 19, 2011
- Three Indian fishermen killed by Bangladeshi pirates - Jan 28, 2012
- India, Bangladesh hold border talks - Sep 26, 2011
- ULFA linkman nabbed in Meghalaya - Nov 18, 2011
- India gives list of terror camps to Bangladesh - Sep 30, 2011
- Six abducted by militants in Mizoram - Mar 26, 2012
- Dhaka launches drive against piracy in Sundarbans - Feb 04, 2010
- No zero entrance through Bangladesh border: BSF chief - Aug 29, 2012
- ULFA cadre arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 10, 2012