15 Ladakh artists killed in Himachal bus accidentAugust 15th, 2011 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Manali/Srinagar, Aug 14 (IANS) At least 15 people, including eight women, were killed when a mini-bus skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Himachal Pradesh, police said Sunday.
The accident, which also left five people injured, happened in Gamur near Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti district late Saturday night.
“Rescue workers used ropes to go down into the 150-metre deep gorge to recover the bodies. The mini-bus was carrying members of a cultural group,” Superintendent of Police Vimal Gupta told IANS.
Police said the mini-bus was carrying 23 people when it rolled down into the gorge after it went out the driver’s control.
The members of the cultural group belonged to Leh in Ladakh district of Jammu and Kashmir and were on their way to Keylong to participate in a festival.
Gupta told IANS that the bodies of the victims would be handed over to their families Monday at Sarchu village, some 250 km from Keylong.
The victims were coming to Keylong, the district headquarters located on the Leh-Manali highway, to participate in a three-day cultural festival that was to start Sunday. Both Keylong and Leh are dominated by the Buddhists.
- Himachal tribals tone down festival after Leh disaster - Aug 15, 2010
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Tight security ahead of Gandhi's visit - Jun 25, 2010
- Captain caught selling diesel from army stock - Aug 21, 2010
- Leh floods dip foreign tourist footfalls in Himachal - Aug 18, 2010
- First ATM comes up in Himachal's Lahaul valley - Sep 04, 2010
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Two killed, 30 injured in Kashmir road accident - Jan 02, 2011
- 'Summers for making money, winters for making merry' (Postcard from Lahaul and Spiti) - Nov 02, 2011
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Eat, gamble, enjoy - this Himachal town is happily cut off! - Jan 03, 2011
- Czech paraglider rescued from Himachal hills - Oct 12, 2011
- Bus services on Manali-Leh route resume - Jul 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
Tags: buddhists, bus accident, cultural group, deep gorge, district headquarters, group superintendent, gupta, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, ladakh, lahaul and spiti district, late saturday night, mini bus, ropes, spiti, srinagar, vimal