15 killed, 100 injured as train derails in Orissa (Fourth Lead)February 14th, 2009 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 13 (IANS) At least 15 passengers were killed and about 100 injured after the Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Express was derailed Friday evening near the Jajpur-Keonjhar Road railway station in Orissa, an official said.
East Coast Railway chief public relation officer J.P. Mishra said at least 15 people were killed when 14 coaches of the super fast express train were derailed near the Jajpur road railway station, some 110 km from the state capital.
“Two relief trains are on their way to the spot from the Khurdha Road and Bhadrak railway stations. Our priority is now to rescue survivors,” Mishra added.
According to Orissa Director General of Police Manmohan Praharaj around 100 people were injured in the mishap.
“The rescue and relief operations are on. We are sending the injured to hospitals,” Praharaj said.
An official involved in the rescue and relief said many people could be trapped under mangled coaches.
A local resident said the accident was “horrible and serious”. “I don’t know how many people have died but the number of the injured is definitely more than 50,” Kishore Jena, a resident of Jajpur Road, told IANS over telephone.
“The accident took place at about 7.45 p.m. but the (district) collector reached the spot around 9 p.m. The area was completely dark and local people were rescuing victims by arranging diesel generators.
“I along with some other locals shifted nearly 40 passengers including a foreigner woman to nearby hospitals,” Jena said.
- Three killed, dozens injured as train derailed in Orissa (Third Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- 15 killed, 150 injured in Orissa train tragedy (Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Patnaik visits rail accident site, meets victims (Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa train accident victims recount night of horror - Feb 14, 2009
- Four die as Doon Express derails in UP (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Three killed, eight injured in Orissa derailment (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Tracks repaired at Orissa accident site, train services normal - Feb 15, 2009
- Probe begins into Orissa rail accident - Feb 16, 2009
- Express train derailed in Orissa - Feb 13, 2009
- Three dead as Doon Express derails, Mamata hints at sabotage (Third Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Orissa rail tragedy toll revised to nine (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2009
- Two killed in Assam train accident (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Relatives complain lack of information on rail tragedy - Feb 14, 2009
- Three dead as Doon Express derails in UP (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- 25 dead as Hampi Express rams into goods train in Andhra (Second Lead) - May 22, 2012