15 injured in clashes ahead of Tripura colleges pollsNovember 21st, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Nov 21 (IANS) Tension has gripped the colleges in Tripura after 15 students were injured in clashes between various groups following the announcement of students’ council polls slated to be held Dec 2.
“At least 15 students were injured in clashes between factions of students in several colleges during the past three days,” a state higher education department official told reporters here Monday.
“Following the incidents of clashes, huge security forces have been deployed in and around all the colleges in different parts of Tripura,” the official said.
The state’s ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) backed Students Federation of India (SFI) and opposition Congress’ student wing National Students Union of India (NSUI) have filed complaints with police against each other.
The state higher education department Saturday announced elections to students’ councils in 15 colleges across Tripura.
“Polling would be held for altogether 527 seats in 15 students’ councils on Dec 2 in Tripura. Necessary notification was issued on Nov 19 for the elections,” the official said.
Of the total of 527 seats in the 15 councils, the SFI had won 525 seats in 2010.
“There is always tension and clashes in the run-up to college council polls and this year would also not be an exception. We would keep a close watch to maintain the situation in the educational complexes under control,” a senior police official said.
- CPI-M student wings sweep Tripura college polls - Dec 03, 2011
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Congress backed strike cripples life in Tripura - May 23, 2011
- Policeman killed, several injured in Tripura clashes - Feb 27, 2011
- Shutdown in Himachal varsity, students miss classes - Aug 13, 2012
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Tripura civic polls slated for Dec 11 - Nov 15, 2010
- 70 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 10, 2011
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- Four members of Trinamool's student wing held - Dec 17, 2010
- 10 injured in student-police clash in Bhopal - Mar 31, 2011
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- Campus violence should stop: Buddhadeb - Dec 19, 2010
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010