15-day Surajkund crafts fair begins near capitalFebruary 1st, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Surajkund (Haryana), Feb 1 (IANS) India’s rich crafts heritage will be on display for the next 15 days as the 25th Surajkund Crafts Mela got off to a colourful start here Tuesday.The Department of Posts released a commemorative cover of Surajkund Crafts Mela to mark its 25th edition.
The 15-day fair was inaugurated by union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai in the presence of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy.
Andhra Pradesh is the theme state of the fair this year while Uzbekistan is the partner country.
Sahai and other dignitaries were welcomed in a traditional way at Charminar Gate, a replica of the Hyderabadi monument. The four grand arches of the gate were adorned to radiate the magnificence of the rich history of the state.
“The mela (fair) has become one of the most-renowned international cultural affairs. Various countries have come forward to provide an array of arts and crafts for the mela. This endeavour will give Indian art and crafts global recognition. This will also boost trade and tourism for the country,” Sahai said here, some 20 km from Delhi.
Besides visiting various stalls from different states, Sahai was taken to ‘Apna Ghar’ where a family of Andhra Pradesh showcased its rural habitat.
The inaugural ceremony culminated at the ‘Choupal’, where Haryanvi, Kuchipudi and Uzbek dance forms were exhibited.
Making a modest beginning in 1981, the Surajkund crafts fair has become a popular event over the years. International acknowledgement has come to the event with scores of foreigners coming here to see the best of traditional Indian craftsmen display their skills and art.
Surajkund (the pond of Sun god) owes its name to an ancient amphitheatre sun pool, dating to the 10th century, located there. It was built by king Suraj Pal, a follower of the Sun god. The place is located in the Aravalli mountain range.
- Surajkund Mela to go international - Jun 07, 2012
- Miss Universe visits Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 03, 2011
- Surajkund fair marks silver jubilee, begins Tuesday - Jan 31, 2011
- Surajkund fair wows Mexican Miss Universe (Lead, With Images) - Feb 03, 2011
- Now, Kerala too wants a Surajkund type fair - Feb 09, 2010
- Rajasthan theme state at Surajkund fair this year - Jan 18, 2010
- Footfalls increase at Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 10, 2011
- President Patil to inaugurate Surajkund crafts fair - Dec 16, 2008
- Surajkund fair, a major draw for art and craft lovers - Feb 09, 2011
- Surajkund crafts fair to go international this year - Jan 11, 2009
- Sri Lanka seeks Haryana's help to organise crafts fair - Feb 08, 2010
- Surajkund crafts fair begins on vibrant note - Feb 01, 2010
- Northeast India to be theme of Chandigarh's crafts fair - Sep 10, 2010
- Chandigarh to hold north-east crafts mela - Oct 26, 2010
- Art works of Border Security Force personnel to be sold - May 23, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, art and crafts, arts and crafts, chief minister, dance forms, ghar, global recognition, hooda, inaugural ceremony, indian craftsmen, kiran kumar, kuchipudi, partner country, sahai, subodh, sun god, suraj, surajkund, tourism minister, uzbek dance