14th century castle gutted in blazeMarch 13th, 2012 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
London, March 12 (IANS) A 14th century castle in Slovakia was gutted in fire which was sparked by two children trying their first cigarette.
According to the police, two boys set fire to some dry grass at the foot of the imposing Krasna Horka castle in Slovakia after sneaking into the castle grounds to smoke a cigarette, the Daily Mail reported.
Over 80 firefighters were pressed into service to control the ensuing inferno which tore through the ancient hill-top building within minutes.
“A unit sent to the site found that two local boys aged 11 and 12 were trying to light up a cigarette and because of careless use of safety matches, they set grass at the castle hill on fire,” said police spokesperson Jana Mesarova.
Children under the age of 15 cannot be prosecuted in Slovakia.
The Slovak National Museum wrote on its Facebook page that damage to the castle was extensive but about 90 percent of historical collections were saved.
- Hundreds battle forest fire in China - Jan 28, 2012
- Massive fire in Dubai perfume factory - Aug 23, 2012
- Hill forts in North Wales used to test how Iron Age people communicated - Mar 21, 2011
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- House fire in England kills four young children - Jan 25, 2011
- 17 died in New Year fires across Russia - Jan 03, 2012
- Russian court fines man $20 mn for wildfire - Apr 10, 2012
- Slovakia launches website with e-books - Dec 23, 2011
- 18 killed in South African retirement home inferno - Aug 02, 2010
- Chicago Fire Department Mourns The Loss Of Two Brave Firefighters - Dec 23, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- One killed, two injured in blast at tyre godown in New Delhi - Oct 06, 2010
- 7 children die in farmhouse fire in rural Pennsylvania - Mar 09, 2011
- China oil pipeline fire put out - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: 14th century, blaze, castle grounds, castle hill, cigarette, collections, daily mail, dry grass, firefighters, inferno, jana, krasna horka, local boys, london march, police spokesperson, safety matches, slovak national museum, slovakia, two boys