$140 mn lost in ordnance depot firesAugust 8th, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) India lost about Rs.710 crore ($140 million) worth of arms and ammunition in five incidents of fire at three ordnance depots in the last five years.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony said this in a written reply in parliament.
“During the last five years, fire incidents have taken place in three ordnance ammunition depots. The loss due to these incidents has been estimated as Rs.710 crore approximately,” he said.
He said separate court of inquiries had been conducted in each of these incidents but no individual was found guilty.
These fires took place in Jammu and Kashmir’s Khundroo depot in August 2007, in Bhuj depot in Gujarat in December 2008 and at the Panagarh depot in West Bengal in 2010.
- CBI begins preliminary probe in defence land scam - Jan 13, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach - Apr 16, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- CBI probes Srinagar air force land scam - Nov 23, 2011
- PM's assets around Rs.10.73 crore - Sep 09, 2012
- IAF lost 40 planes, 16 pilots since 2008 - Feb 23, 2011
- Aerostat radar damaged, non-operational: Antony - Nov 30, 2011
- HAL disinvestment under consideration: Government - May 07, 2012
- Scams that rocked defence ministry since 2007 [To go with 'Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead)'] - Mar 26, 2012
- I also informed Antony on Tatra trucks: Jabalpur MP - Apr 05, 2012
- Nobody can manipulate defence deals: Antony (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rs.11 crore unpaid by VIPS for flying in IAF planes - May 07, 2012
- India spent $7 bn on army procurements since 2007 - Dec 21, 2011