14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jailDecember 9th, 2011 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Dec 8 (IANS) Fourteen prisoners escaped from a jail in Rajasthan after sawing off the ventilator grills in their barrack in the early hours Thursday, police said. One prisoner was re-arrested, while others are still on the run.
According to the police, the incident took place in the sub-jail of Jalore district, some 400 km from Jaipur.
“The inmates were undertrials lodged in jail on various charges, including murder, kidnap and smuggling,” a police officer told IANS.
He added that the jail authorities came to know about the escape around 2 a.m. Thursday and informed the police.
“During the inspection, it came up that they had cut open a ventilator grill by a sharp-edged weapon and then used a piece of cloth to escape through it,” the officer said.
Police suspect the prisoners jumped over the boundary wall and got away without being detected by the security guards.
He added that it is being investigated how the prisoners arranged the weapon used for cutting the grills.
The jail department has ordered an enquiry into the mass escape.
“If negligence of jail officers is found, action will be taken against them,” said an officer of the state’s jail department.
Six prisoners had escaped from a jail in Bhilwara district Nov 27.
- Six prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Nov 27, 2011
- Two of 14 escaped prisoners nabbed - Dec 09, 2011
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Murder accused flees Haryana jail, nabbed in Delhi - May 09, 2012
- Tihar undertrial alleges assault, sexual abuse - Jun 17, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Three escape in Uttar Pradesh jail break - Oct 28, 2011
- Prisoners beat up Rajasthan jailor - Mar 21, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrials - Aug 29, 2012
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Five prisoners break free in Pakistan - Aug 01, 2012