14 Tibetans detained for protesting against India-China talksMarch 1st, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) A group of 14 Tibetan activists were detained here Thursday for staging a protest outside Hyderabad House where the foreign ministers of India and China were holding discussions, police said.
Holding Tibetan flags, the activists, including women, were draped in green and yellow ‘Free Tibet’ jackets and held placards condemning China. They also shouted slogans.
“China should give us our freedom first. This meeting is of no use. This is a mockery,” said one of the protesters.
Delhi Police gathered the protesters in a bus and took them to a nearby police station.
“We have detained 14 Tibetan protesters,” said a police official.
The activists had gathered outside Hyderabad House as External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna held delegation-level talks with his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi to strengthen strategic partnership and firm up the agenda for the forthcoming visit of President Hu Jintao to India for the BRICS summit March-end.
The two ministers reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral relationship and discussed issues that will figure in bilateral talks between the Chinese president and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the margins of the BRICS summit.
India will host the summit of the leaders of the five emerging economies of BRICS — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa in New Delhi March 29.
India has given an undertaking to China that it will not allow its soil to be used for anti-China activities.
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Tibetans protest as India, China hold talks - Mar 01, 2012
- India, China to hold maritime dialogue, border meeting next week (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Amid Arunachal row, Chinese foreign minister heading to India - Feb 27, 2012
- India, China to discuss Hu's visit Thursday - Feb 29, 2012
- India, China to start maritime dialogue, border meet next week (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2012
- India reassures China over Tibet issue - Feb 08, 2012
- India reassures China over Tibet, calls for stronger ties (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Ahead of BRICS summit, Krishna to visit China - Feb 03, 2012
- Wen Jiabao visit: Delhi Police take five Tibetan protesters into custody - Dec 16, 2010
- Seven more Tibetan protestors arrested - Mar 30, 2012
- 11 Tibetans trying to gatecrash BRICS summit venue detained - Mar 29, 2012
- Tibetan activist who immolated himself dies (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Hu in India Wednesday: trade imbalance, cultural ties on agenda - Mar 27, 2012
- 30 Tibetans detained for protesting Wen's visit - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: bilateral relationship, bilateral talks, china talks, chinese counterpart, chinese president, external affairs minister, forthcoming visit, free tibet, hu jintao, india china, manmohan singh, ministers of india, nearby police station, president hu jintao, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, strategic partnership, summit india, tibetan activists, tibetan flags