1.4 lakh apply for Delhi University admissions (Lead)June 18th, 2012 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) The number of applications received by the Delhi University this year has crossed 1.4 lakh, of which 43,000 came online, an officials said Monday, on the last day for receiving applications for the 2012-13 session.
In all, we received 1,03,500 offline applications and 43,300 came online,” the dean for student welfare, J.M. Khurana told IANS. The admission counters closed at 4 p.m. Monday.
The last day rush meant that the counters for receiving forms at the university’s north and south campuses, which had opened half an hour earlier at 9:30 a.m. and were scheduled to close by 1 p.m. stayed open till 4 p.m.
“Originally, we had planned to keep them open till 1 p.m. while the application forms could be submitted at 12 designated post offices around the city till 4 p.m., so anyone running late would still be able to submit forms,” deputy dean for student welfare, Gurpreet Singh Tuteja said.
The online submission of forms stopped one hour later at 5 p.m. Monday.
However, these alternative methods hold no charm for the applicants who stood in long queues at the university counters. Compared to the applicants in the campus, there were hardly any aspirants at Head Post Office Lodhi road, one of the designated post offices where forms could be submitted.
Incredibly, some of the applicants didn’t even know that Monday was the last day for submission of application forms. Others recounted various reasons for turning up at the last moment.
“I was busy with various coaching classes and tests earlier, so I kept on pushing the submission till now,” claimed Roshan, an admission seeker from south Delhi’s Saket area.
Nearly 54,000 seats are up for grabs in around 70 colleges affiliated to Delhi University. An estimated 125,000 students had applied for various courses in the university last year.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Last day rush at DU admission counters - Jun 18, 2012
- Delhi University begins sale of admission forms - Jun 04, 2012
- Delhi University forms available at Airport Metro counter - Jun 09, 2012
- DU officials say no 100 percent cut-off this time - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi University launches web chat facility - Jun 01, 2011
- Delhi University admission process to begin June 15 - May 06, 2011
- Over 40,000 Delhi University forms sold on Day One - May 28, 2010
- Over 100,000 apply for admission to Delhi University - Jun 15, 2009
- DTC low-floor buses to run in Delhi University's north campus - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU extends last date for submitting admission forms - May 02, 2010
- IGNOU announces admissions for 2012 session - Nov 17, 2011
- Ugandan student duped with fake admission letter - Jul 05, 2011
- Delhi University helplines flooded with calls - Jun 16, 2009
- Delhi University begins web chat, helplines for admissions (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- IGNOU opens admissions for biodiversity programme - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: alternative methods, application forms, delhi university admissions, deputy dean, grabs, gurpreet singh, half an hour, indo, khurana, last moment, New Delhi, offline applications, post offices, queues, saket, saz, south campuses, south delhi, student welfare, vm