14 dismembered bodies found in MexicoJune 9th, 2012 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 9 (IANS/EFE) At least 14 dismembered bodies were found in a truck abandoned in El Mante, a city in the northeastern Mexican state of Tamaulipas, authorities said.
The truck and its grisly cargo were found just after 2 p.m. Thursday, a Tamaulipas Attorney General’s Office source told EFE.
Police decided to move the vehicle to another location to sort through the contents, but “initial reports are that there are 14 bodies”, the AG’s office source said.
A message was left with the bodies of the victims - 11 men and three women - but the contents have not been revealed.
El Mante, which is in a sugar-growing region, is about 140 km south of Ciudad Victoria, the capital of Tamaulipas, a state that has been rocked in recent weeks by a spike in drug-related violence.
On Wednesday, three people were wounded when unidentified assailants threw grenades at two auto dealerships in Ciudad Victoria, state officials said.
The attacks targeted the Renault and Volkswagen dealerships in the state capital.
Police found the bodies of 23 people May 4 in Nuevo Laredo, located across the Rio Grande from Laredo, Texas, with 14 of the victims mutilated and nine left hanging from a bridge.
Tamaulipas and neighbouring Nuevo Leon state have been rocked by a wave of violence unleashed by drug traffickers battling for control of smuggling routes into the US.
The army is carrying out “Operation Northeast” in Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila and San Luis Potosi states in an effort to weaken the drug cartels that operate in the region.
The Gulf drug cartel and Los Zetas, a band of army special forces deserters turned hired guns and drug traffickers, are blamed for the violence.
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- At least 16 bodies found in northern Mexico - Sep 17, 2012
- Mexico ships 273 inmates to island prison - Oct 24, 2011
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- 6 partially burned bodies found in Mexico - Feb 01, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- Cartel threats force people to flee cities in Mexico - Nov 23, 2010
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- 20 die in Mexico prison fight - Oct 16, 2011
- 18 tons of stolen explosives found in Mexico - Feb 21, 2010
- Nine killed in drug related attacks in Mexico - May 23, 2011
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: army special forces, auto dealerships, capital police, ciudad victoria, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug traffickers, el mante, initial reports, laredo texas, los zetas, mexico mexico, nuevo laredo, nuevo leon state, office source, rio grande, three women, unidentified assailants, victoria state, volkswagen dealerships