14 Bangladeshis arrested in TripuraSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 3 (IANS) A total of 14 Bangladeshi nationals, including three women and two children, were Saturday arrested for illegally entering India, police said.
“Acting on a tip-off, the Mobile Task Force (MTF) personnel arrested them from the Tripura capital and brought them before a local court, which later sent them into jail custody,” police spokesman Nepal Das told reporters.
Das, a deputy inspector general of police (police control), said that the foreign nationals were detained under the Indian Passport Act and they would be sent back to Bangladesh after completion of their jail term.
The apprehended intruders, who might have crossed the border in search of jobs, are residents of Moulavi Bazar, Nowakhali, Hatia, Habibganj, Feni, Chattagram, Commilla and Kishoreganj districts of Bangladesh adjoining India.
Indian and Bangladeshi currencies and some official documents were recovered from the detainees.
According to police, the MTF troopers recently intensified their drive to detain illegally migrants from Bangladesh, Myanmar and other countries.
Since last year, the Tripura Police have also detained 23 Myanmar nationals in Tripura and later sent them back to Bangladesh, from where they entered into the Indian territory looking for livelihood and jobs.
- 12 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 14, 2011
- 13 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 18, 2011
- 30 Myanmarese, Bangladeshis caught in Tripura - Dec 02, 2011
- 13 Bangladeshis arrested in Tripura - Jun 22, 2012
- Bangladeshi nationals held in Agartala - Mar 17, 2011
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- Six Myanmarese held in Tripura, sent to jail - Nov 07, 2011
- 12 more Myanmarese held in Tripura - Mar 08, 2012
- Nine illegal Bangladeshi migrants held in Assam - Mar 10, 2012
- 31 Myanmar nationals held in Tripura - Dec 17, 2011
- Myanmarese nationals get jail for entering India illegally - Mar 24, 2012
- Ten Myanmarese nationals held in Tripura - Mar 04, 2011
- ISI activity in northeast under scanner - Jul 14, 2010
- Two Myanmarese nationals held in Tripura - Aug 02, 2010
- Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, held - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: agartala, bangladesh, currencies, deputy inspector general, detainees, foreign nationals, india indian, indian passport, indian territory, intruders, jail term, livelihood, local court, migrants, myanmar, nepal, police police, police spokesman, task force, three women