13th CBI team begins Sister Abhaya murder probeNovember 14th, 2008 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 14 (IANS) The 13th Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team has begun its probe into the 1992 killing of Sister Abhaya, a nun whose body was found in the well of a convent in Kottayam. Twelve teams have so far failed to crack the murder case.The new team, an all-Kerala one led by Deputy Superintendent of Police Nandakumaran Nair, has begun by collecting evidence and questioning a few people who live near the convent, a CBI official here said.
The Kerala High Court had last month rapped the investigating agency over the slow progress in its probe and asked the Kerala unit of the CBI to take over.
Eyebrows was raised a few days back when the team picked up a person who lives near the convent, but he was released soon after, officials said.
Abhaya, an inmate of Pious X hostel near here, was found dead in the well of the convent March 27, 1992. The CBI concluded in November 1996 that the death was a homicide but the murderer remained untraced.
The CBI has been saying that evidence in the case has been destroyed during investigations by the state police.
The court has asked the new team to submit its first information report to the court in 45 days and submit the first full progress report of the investigation before Feb 4, 2009.
The case ignited public interest again in April last year after a newspaper reported that Abhaya’s medical reports were tampered with at a chemical laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram.
Last year, two priests and a nun in Kottayam had to undergo truth serum tests in connection with the case.
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- Police find nun's body in her convent's tank (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- All-Kerala CBI team takes over Sister Abhaya murder probe - Nov 04, 2008
- Two Kerala priests held for nun's murder 16 years ago - Nov 19, 2008
- Priest denied bail in Abhaya murder case - Dec 03, 2008
- Kerala High Court raps CBI on murder probe - Oct 23, 2008
- Abhaya case: Accused demands compensation from CBI - Dec 03, 2009
- Two priests, nun held for Sister Abhaya's murder 16 years ago (Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Court orders probe into cop's suicide in Abhaya case - Feb 04, 2010
- CBI questions bishop in Abhaya murder case - Nov 24, 2008
- 16 years on, two priests, nun held for Sister Abhaya's murder (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Probe role of apex court judge, appeals Sister Abhaya's father - Oct 23, 2009
- Abhaya murder casts shadow on Sunday mass - Nov 23, 2008
- Former police official who investigated Abhaya case found dead - Nov 25, 2008
- CBI to submit evidence leading to arrests in Abhaya murder - Nov 26, 2008