13/7 blasts: Police remand of four accused extendedFebruary 18th, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 18 (IANS) A Mumbai court Saturday extended the police custody of four accused in the July 13 serial blasts that killed 27 people and injured over 100 here, a lawyer said.
“The court has extended the remand of Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik and another accused Nain Wazeer Chand Patrija till Feb 24,” defence lawyer Sharif Shaikh told IANS.
“Police custody of another two accused Naqi Ahmed Vasi Ahmed Shaikh and Nadeem Akhtar Ashfaque Shaikh was Friday extended to Feb 27,” he added.
Mumbai ATS had on Jan 23 arrested two suspects - Naqi and Nadeem in the case. The Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) was also investigating Naik’s role into the financial trail and the conspiracy in this case.
Naik had been nabbed from the Mumbai international airport on charges of possessing fake currency notes on Aug 22, 2011 and since then was lodged in jail. Patrija on the other hand was arrested Jan 30 from Ghaziabad near Delhi.
An ATS official said that Naik had also met Al Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan in 2001 and trained under him.
According to the ATS, Naik alleged used hawala channels to fund the triple blasts in Mumbai last year. He was also known to Sheikh Omar, the killer of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, and Aftab Ansari, the mastermind of 2002 American Center attack in Kolkata.
Three blasts at close intervals, on July 13 last year, shook the country’s diamond and gold hubs - Opera House and Zaveri Bazar - and a busy commercial area of Dadar, killing at least 27 people and leaving around 125 injured.
- 13/7 Mumbai blasts: Police remand of three extended - Feb 10, 2012
- Key accused in 13/7 Mumbai blasts trained under Osama: ATS - Feb 07, 2012
- Key accused in 13/7 Mumbai blasts trained under Osama: ATS (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 07, 2012
- Mumbai police claim cracking 13/7 blasts; centre baffled (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- 13/7 Mumbai blasts case cracked, three suspects held (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- A year on, 13/7 blasts' trial may take years to begin - Jul 13, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen targeting Darbhanga for recruits? - Apr 03, 2012
- Apex court shield against arrest for Mumbai blasts' suspect - Feb 14, 2012
- Apex court shield against arrest for Mumbai blasts' suspect (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Don't link Bihar with 13/7 terrorists: Nitish Kumar - Jan 24, 2012
- Three arrested in Mumbai 13/7 blasts case - Jan 23, 2012
- Zaveri Bazar became target for the third time - Jul 14, 2011
- Toll in 13/7 Mumbai triple blasts climbs to 27 (Lead) - Sep 15, 2011
- Court admits plea for federal probe in July 13 Mumbai blasts - Oct 13, 2011
- Indonesia condemns Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: abdul hamid, aftab ansari, ats, daniel pearl, defence lawyer, fake currency notes, ghaziabad, haroon rashid, journal reporter, mumbai court, nadeem akhtar, naik, nain, opera house, police custody, police remand, sheikh omar, vasi, wall street journal, zaveri