13 prisoners escape from prison van in Uttar PradeshAugust 9th, 2012 - 10:58 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 9 (IANS) Thirteen prisoners who were being driven back to jail after a court hearing overpowered their guards and escaped at gun point in Uttar Pradesh’s Banda district, police said Thursday.
Among those who escaped include two robbers from the Thokia gang who had killed several policemen some years ago.
The incident took place Wednesday night in the Atarra area of Banda district, 160 km from here, when the undertrial prisoners were being taken back to the jail from a court in Chitrakoot in a prison van.
During the journey, the prisoners overpowered the guards and attacked the armed constables and 13 of them fled at gun point, said police.
They beat up a head constable and three other constables before escaping into the thickets.
The guards managed to stop seven other prisoners from escaping.
“In an apparently pre-planned manner, the undertrials started fighting among each other when the prison van was near the Sai Baba Temple in the Rahosat Miner area,” a police official said.
Soon, the prisoners took the rifles of the guards and broke the iron mesh and glass windowpanes and hopped off one-by-one from the moving vehicle.
The 13 prisoners who escaped have been identified as Sheelu, Chunnilal, Sandeep, Shiv Moorat, Lala, Pandit, Raju, Rohit, Ram Bahoori, Moorti, Kailash, Munna and Pahadi.
Combing operations to track down the escaped prisoners have started, officials told IANS. The Madhya Pradesh police has also been alerted.
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Six prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Nov 27, 2011
- Lightening kills four in UP - Apr 06, 2012
- 32 prisoners flee Mexican jail - Sep 20, 2011
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Six prisoners attempt suicide in Bihar jail - May 14, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Three bandits killed in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 21, 2010
- Four cops suspended after Maoist undertrials escape - Sep 23, 2009
- Four Pakistani prisoners cut jail van floor, escape - Aug 12, 2011
- Cops eat ice cream with accused, face action - Feb 23, 2011
- Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrials - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: banda district, chitrakoot, constables, district police, gun point, head constable, kailash, madhya pradesh police, moorat, munna, police official, policemen, prison van, prisoners, raju, rifles, robbers, thickets, undertrial, windowpanes