13 million South Africans test for HIVJuly 27th, 2011 - 9:35 am ICT by IANS
Pretoria, July 27 (IANS) More than 13 million people have tested for HIV in South Africa since the launch of counselling facilities in April 2010, the official BuaNews reported.
Among the 13 million, 65 percent are female and 30 percent are male adults.
Launched by President Jacob Zuma, the HIV Counselling and Testing (HCT) campaign aims to promote testing, and encourage people to know their HIV status and be screened for tuberculosis.
Among the country’s nine provinces, Gauteng province is among the top for the most people tested for HIV, with over three million.
In addition to HIV, 837,015 people were also screened for tuberculosis, 93,675 were tested for cervical cancer, 36,439 for diabetes and 63,328 for high blood pressure,” said department spokesperson Simon Zwane.
In an effort to further increase the number of people to know their health status, the department has extended the campaign to shopping malls.
It also has mobile services that go out to community gatherings as well as rural areas, where health facilities are not easily accessible.
- South Africa president is HIV negative - Apr 26, 2010
- South Africans get 100 free condoms after HIV test - Apr 26, 2010
- South Africa to launch massive HIV/AIDS campaign - Mar 31, 2010
- Aim to eliminate HIV-AIDS from South-East Asia by 2015: WHO (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- South Africa urges circumcision to curb sexual diseases - Jul 28, 2011
- Over 900,000 lives saved with TB, HIV services: WHO - Mar 03, 2012
- Dip in AIDS deaths: UN report (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Launch of Red Ribbon Express' third phase Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- South Africa to circumcise two million men - Apr 09, 2010
- NACO, global fund sign agreement to scale up HIV/AIDS related services in India - Sep 08, 2010
- Lack of syringes hits Himachal's HIV tests - Oct 13, 2011
- HIV/AIDS support services in South Asia largely absent: UN - Nov 30, 2010
- South African president takes HIV test - Apr 09, 2010
- To take part in South African festival, circumcise - Dec 22, 2010
- Young South African women told to be independent - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: cervical cancer, community gatherings, hct, health facilities, health status, high blood pressure, hiv, hiv status, jacob zuma, launch, male adults, mobile services, pretoria, rural areas, shopping malls, south africans, spokesperson, tuberculosis, zuma, zwane