13 killed as heavy rains lash Andhra PradeshAugust 9th, 2008 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 9 (IANS) At least 13 people have been killed in heavy rains and flash floods that have wreaked havoc in the state capital and other parts of Andhra Pradesh, officials said Saturday. Eight people were killed in three incidents of house collapse here as incessant rain since Friday night inundated dozens of residential areas and threw vehicular traffic out of gear. Medak district accounted for three deaths while two people were killed in Vijayawada in the coastal district of Krishna.
With this, the death toll in heavy rains and flash floods since last week rose to 26. The rains, under the influence of a low pressure area in the Bay of Bengal, led to flash floods as several rivulets, streams and tanks were overflowing. The low-lying areas around the water bodies were inundated.
The state capital recorded 13.6 cm rainfall Friday night, meteorological officials said. The heavy rains resulted in inundation of roads and residential areas, disrupting electricity and communication lines.
Three people were killed when a house wall collapsed in Gulzar Houz neighbourhood in the old city area. A couple died in a house collapse in Gokul Plots in Miyapur neighbourhood. A mother and her daughter were killed in another wall collapse in Basvataraka Nagar in Filmnagar area.
The heavy rains inundated several main arteries here, bringing vehicular traffic to a grinding halt.
Three people died in house collapse in Medak district in Telangana region while a similar incident in Vijayawada city claimed two lives.
Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekahara Reddy cancelled his scheduled visit to Krishna district and reviewed the situation with top officials. He directed the district collectors to take up evacuation of people from low-lying areas and take all steps to provide relief to the affected.
- Heavy rains kill 23 in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- 17 killed as rains create havoc in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2012
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh, toll rises to 42 (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- 10 die in Jaipur of rain-triggered disasters (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Army called to help Jaipur, Rajasthan battles floods - Aug 24, 2012
- 36 killed in heavy rains in eastern Uttar Pradesh - Sep 26, 2011
- Sonia visits Jaipur areas devastated by heavy rains - Aug 30, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad, many colonies submerged (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains kill 11 in Bihar - Sep 26, 2011
- Heavy monsoon rains in northern Pakistan kill 26 - Aug 25, 2012
- Six dead as heavy rains lash Jaipur - Aug 22, 2012