1.25 million people to observe ‘Yogathon’ SaturdayApril 6th, 2012 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 6 (IANS) More than a million people across India are expected to be part of a ‘Yogathon’ Saturday performing ‘Surya Namaskars’ (Salutations to the Sun) to mark World Health Day.
The ‘yogathon’ is being organized by the Bangalore-based Art of Living (AoL) founded by spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
“This unique nation-wide initiative by The Art of Living, will see over 1.25 million people across 28 states, performing Surya Namaskars (Sun Salutations) on April 7, the World Health Day,” AoL said in a statement here Friday.
The event will be from 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. and from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
It will be held in 1,800 venues across India in schools, parks, colleges, stadia, prisons, rehabilitation centres, orphanages and clubs, the statement said.
Bangalore alone is set to witness over 24,000 participants performing at 97 venues.
Inmates in 34 prisons in different parts of the country, including 3,800 in Delhi’s Tihar jail, will also take part.
“The Yogathon Challenge will allow people to participate to the best of their ability and will challenge participants to complete 108 rounds of Surya Namaskar,” it said.
‘Surya Namaskar’ is a series of 12 ‘asanas’ (exercise) and part of the ancient Indian tradition of ‘Yoga’ that promotes health.
- Mumbaikars participate in 'Yogathon' on World Health Day - Apr 07, 2012
- A concert with 1,110 veenas! - Mar 29, 2012
- Argentines throng meditation session with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 10, 2012
- 1,500 kids to be trained in life-skills by AoL - May 30, 2012
- A music concert with 1,008 veenas - Mar 26, 2012
- Ravi Shankar asks NGOS to join effort against corruption - Dec 03, 2010
- One lakh devotees worship god Shiva in Bangalore - Feb 20, 2012
- Yoga takes CWG by storm - Oct 03, 2010
- Women from around the world to assess role of technology - Feb 02, 2012
- Thousands of Argentines turn up to hear Indian guru - Sep 06, 2012
- Scriptures to help fight HIV-AIDS - Mar 12, 2011
- Kathakali performance attempts to enter record books - Feb 12, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh eyes world record with mass yoga - Jan 11, 2012
- Two-day mourning in Karnataka for Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Firing not aimed at Sri Sri Ravi Shankar : Karnataka DGP - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: ancient indian tradition, aol, asanas, bangalore, colleges, initiative, inmates, namaskar, orphanages, participants, prisons, ravi shankar, rehabilitation centres, spiritual guru, sri sri ravi, sun salutations, tihar jail, will allow people, world health day, yoga