Leopard cub rescued and released in AssamNovember 20th, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Nov 20, (IANS) A leopard cub was rescued and released Wednesday night in Assam’s eastern Digboi town, officials said here Thursday.The animal was around eight months old and was freed near the Upper Dihing reserve forest.
Officials said the leopard had strayed into a house but was quickly locked from outside by the terrified house owner and his neighbours.
“The leopard could have come from the Upper Dihing reserve forest. However conflict with leopards is not common in Digboi,” said Prabhakar Das, divisional forest officer (DFO).
The rescue operation was carried out by officials from the forest department and the NGOs Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) and the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW).
WTI veterinarian Abhijit Bhawal said: “There was no option but to tranquilise the leopard. We used a makeshift pole syringe, using a bamboo. Although we had a cartridge-propelled rifle, we did not want to use it for fear of causing undue tissue damage.”
“It is not uncommon for grown-up cubs of big cats to venture into human habitation looking for easy prey. In a similar incident in May 2004 when an adult tigress had mauled a mahout riding a captive elephant, her two fully-grown cubs had ventured into a nearby village and killed several livestock. The cubs had to be caught and released in the forest,” said N.V.K. Ashraf, director WTI.
- Rare clouded leopards reintroduced to the wild for first time in India - May 05, 2010
- Bhopal zoo to get 10th Royal Bengal Tiger - Apr 26, 2011
- Leopard strays into Himachal capital - Feb 25, 2010
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Tiger cub spotted in Sariska - Aug 08, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Two orphaned rhinos from Kaziranga to be released in Manas - Mar 10, 2012
- Leopard strays into Shimla, condition critical (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Uttarakhand's killer tusker evades death - Jan 11, 2012
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- Sariska tigers feature in BBC series (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Tigress, cubs kill, eat farmer in Yavatmal (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Forest Rangers rescue leopard cubs in Surat - Mar 06, 2011
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011