1,200 prisoners in Uttar Pradesh may be freed soonNovember 25th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 25 (IANS) About 1,200 prisoners, lodged in various jails of Uttar Pradesh, may soon be able to enjoy freedom from the confinement, officials said Tuesday, adding a proposal to release them is underway.”We have got nearly 1,200 such appeals pending before the authorities of various district jails in the state and the government has directed us to forward the applications within a month,” Inspector General (Uttar Pradesh Jails) Sulkhan Singh told reporters in Faizabad.
He said applications have been selected on the basis of prisoners’ behaviour and health.
Singh, who attended a review meeting of the jails, said: “I have instructed the jail officials to complete the process at the earliest”.
The list of 1,200 prisoners, among them 200 women, comes under the category of mercy petition, probationers and forgiveness of punishment.
“The governor of the state is the authority to take decision on mercy appeals under Article 160 of the Constitutionm, and in the cases of release on probation, decisions are taken by district officials based on the report submitted by the concerned jail administration,” he explained.
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Home ministry looking into Pakistani prisoner in Ajmer: PM - Aug 11, 2011
- Prison authorities told to compensate ill-treated prisoners - Jan 31, 2012
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Andhra prisoners to grow herbs for Himalaya Drugs - Jul 24, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh jails to get video-conferencing facility - Mar 27, 2010
- Two murders convicts escape from Gurgaon jail - Sep 01, 2012
- Girls outshine boys in Uttar Pradesh Class 10 results - Jun 10, 2011
- Six prisoners injured in fire - Nov 11, 2011
- 'Krishna aur Kans' declared tax free in six states - Aug 03, 2012
- Jail launches self-employment training for inmates - Feb 18, 2011
- 308 convicts await death ahead of Kasab - May 06, 2010
- Assam hunts for hangman - Jun 02, 2011
- 108-year-old former prisoner dies - Aug 26, 2011
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012