120 fishermen of Tamil Nadu detained by Andhra counterpartsAugust 26th, 2008 - 1:50 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad/Chennai, Aug 26 (IANS) Fishermen from coastal Andhra Pradesh held at least 120 fishermen of Tamil Nadu and 20 mechanised trawlers belonging to them captive for allegedly fishing in their area.Alleging that the fishermen from Tamil Nadu were illegally fishing in their area, the fishermen from Krishnapuram in the south coastal district of Nellore detained their counterparts.
The demands to free the captives included a ransom of Rs.4 million to repair damaged nets and an unspecified donation for a local temple.
Police officials said they were trying to contact the fishermen who held captive their counterparts from Tamil Nadu. Police are likely to hold talks with the fishermen Tuesday to sort out the issue.
Fishermen from Tamil Nadu often stray into the fishing area of Krishnapuram near the border between two states. However, fishermen’s association from Tamil Nadu alleged that they were being routinely detained in Andhra Pradesh.
A report from Chennai said a five-member team of boat owners and fishermen’s representatives left for Andhra Pradesh to secure the release of fishermen. The association claimed that 150 fishermen and 25 mechanised trawlers were being held captive.
V. Kapilan, a spokesman for a fishermen’s association based in Kasimedu from where the boats had left on a fishing expedition, demanded police intervention and said Tamil Nadu’s fishermen were routinely detained in Andhra Pradesh.
- Efforts on to free Tamil Nadu fishermen held in Andhra (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- 42 Tamil Nadu fishermen held captive in Andhra Pradesh released - Aug 26, 2008
- 150 Tamil Nadu fishermen detained in Andhra: group - Aug 25, 2008
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Tamil fishermen held in Andhra Pradesh freed - Aug 27, 2008
- Indian fishermen to be freed soon: Sri Lanka - Jun 23, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka for better ties over fishing - Mar 30, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011