12-year jail for swindler in ChinaApril 7th, 2012 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 7 (IANS) A man who duped four people of over 924,000 yuan (about $146,000) while pretending to be a Hong Kong company manager has been sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Prosecutors at the Minhang District People’s Court said the 59-year-old man, surnamed Yu, lived in Shanghai’s Putuo district. He claimed being the construction department manager of a Hong Kong-based company since February 2009, Shanghai Daily reported.
He spread false information, saying his company was seeking sub-contractors to develop a land parcel on Wuzhong Road, which lured some bidders.
To win construction projects, two victims — surnamed Zhang and Qin — handed a total of 424,000 yuan to Yu as commissions in August 2009.
Between March 2010 and July last year, Yu registered himself as a wealthy man at several match-making agencies and swindled two women out of 500,000 yuan. He was caught by police last July 10 and fined 100,000 yuan in that case, the court said.
- Labour in Communist China suffer exploitation - Dec 15, 2011
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- Shanghai Disneyland construction begins - Apr 08, 2011
- Chinese man stabs wife, two couples to death - Jul 03, 2012
- Work starts on Disney resort in Shanghai - Apr 08, 2011
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- 74-year-old Chinese woman jailed for graft - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- China official sacked, arrested for taking bribe - Sep 30, 2011
- Chinese firm told to pay up for selling old car - Mar 03, 2012
- Hong Kong based businessman cheated by two Delhi con men - Feb 03, 2012
- Chinese parents play cupid on Valentine's Day eve - Feb 14, 2011
- Air China Q3 profits fall - Oct 28, 2011
- 60-year-old 'stud' in pregnancy trouble! - Mar 21, 2012
- Around the world in 80 days for 1 mn yuan - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: bidders, china beijing, commissions, construction department, construction projects, false information, hong kong company, land parcel, match, old man, prosecutors, qin, shanghai, swindler, two women, wealthy man, yuan