12 militants killed in AfghanistanOctober 28th, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 28 (DPA) US forces killed 12 militants after suspected Taliban insurgents shot down an American helicopter in central Afghanistan, the US military said Tuesday.The incident happened Monday in the Sayed Abad district of Wardak province, 50 km west of Kabul, when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the tail of the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter, forcing it to the ground, the US military said in a statement.
The crew members on board returned fire and killed five militants, it said.
Seven other militants were killed and another one was detained when the US soldiers continued searching the area and were engaged by more militants, the statement said.
No coalition soldiers were killed in the attack and the helicopter was recovered and taken to a nearby military base, it added.
Taliban militants claimed responsibility for the attack but said all the soldiers aboard the helicopter were killed.
US-led coalition and NATO-commanded forces heavily rely on helicopters and warplanes as part of their fight against Taliban-led forces, who have increased their attacks recently.
In another incident, one militant was killed and seven others were detained by coalition forces in two separate operations Monday in the eastern provinces of Khost and Ghazni, a separate US military statement said.
More than 4,000 people - mostly insurgents - have been killed in the Afghan conflict so far this year.
- 38 soldiers die in Afghan chopper crash (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011
- 2 US soldiers killed by militants in Afghanistan - Sep 01, 2012
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 24 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 22, 2011
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- Most victims of Afghanistan copper crash were US Navy SEALs - Aug 07, 2011
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 15 killed in pre-election Afghan violence - Sep 16, 2010
- Two soldiers killed in NATO chopper crash - Jun 06, 2012
- NATO soldier, six workers killed in Afghanistan - Jul 06, 2010
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011