12 killed in Mexican nightclub stampede (Lead)June 21st, 2008 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 21 (Xinhua) At least 12 people have been killed in a stampede at a night club after hundreds of young revellers rushed for the exit during a police raid here, the police said. The incident took place at the News Divine disco in Nueva Atzacoalco district Friday evening. Around 18 people were injured.
People rushed for the exit after the club management announced over a microphone that a police operation was underway, police chief, Joel Ortega, told the Televisa network.
Police went to the disco in Nueva Atzacoalco district to check reports of drugs and alcohol being sold to minors, he said.
Around 500 youths were partying at the club to celebrate the end of their school year, the official said.
Police have detained more than 30 youths and the owner of the club, the officer said.
- Gunmen kill eight at Guatemala disco - Jan 23, 2012
- 10 detained in raid on Himachal rave party - Aug 05, 2012
- One dead, two injured in Agra stampede - Jul 14, 2012
- Mexican protests block TV studios amidst election scandal - Jul 29, 2012
- Police officer charged with homicide for Mexico club deaths - Jun 27, 2008
- 10 killed in disco stampede - Jun 21, 2008
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- 74 dead, 1,000 injured in Egypt football violence (Third Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Nearly 150 students arrested in Nepal vice crackdown - Mar 19, 2010
- Gunmen kill 6 outside soccer stadium in northern Mexico - Sep 05, 2011
- Woman killed in Rajasthan stampede - Jun 30, 2012
- American human trafficker arrested in Tijuana, Mexico - Feb 26, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- White House shooting suspect arrested (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Stampede kills 16 pilgrims, injures more than 50 in northern India - Nov 08, 2011