12 killed in Maharashtra road accidentFebruary 19th, 2010 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Raigad (Maharashtra), Feb 19 (IANS) At least 12 people, who were on their way to attend a wedding, were killed and two injured when their vehicle crashed headlong into a truck near Nagothane early Friday, police said.
Nagothane is about 100 km from Mumbai.
According to an official of the Raigad police, the accident occurred when the Tata Sumo with 14 occupants was going to Khed on the Mumbai-Goa highway.
“Around 2.30 a.m., the Sumo crashed headlong into a truck speeding from the opposite direction. Eleven people were killed on the spot, and one succumbed on the way to the hospital. Another two were seriously injured,” the official said.
All the victims were from Mumbai and were going to attend a wedding in Khed Taluka of Ratnagiri district.
As news of the accident spread, people from nearby hamlets helped in the rescue and relief efforts. Weekend and holiday traffic on the busy and accident-prone Mumbai-Goa highway was not badly affected by the accident, officials said.
- 12 killed in Maharashtra road accident (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Two die as luxury bus overturns in Maharashtra - Feb 24, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Nine of family, driver die in Maharashtra accident - Dec 12, 2010
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravine - Jun 12, 2012
- Nine killed in Haryana accident - Oct 28, 2011
- Two killed as heavy rains lash coastal Maharashtra - Jul 22, 2010
- 27 killed, 29 injured in Maharashtra accident (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Two killed in Maharashtra road accident - Aug 13, 2011
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Chemical pollutes dam water; notices to 50 companies - Dec 29, 2009
- Six die in Mumbai-Nashik Highway accident - May 05, 2011
- Lawyers drowned in Maharashtra - Jul 29, 2012