12 killed in attack on Pakistani mosqueSeptember 11th, 2008 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 11 (DPA) At least 12 people have been killed and some 40 injured in a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in north-west Pakistan, reports said.Unknown gunmen late Wednesday night hurled hand grenades and then opened fire as people were offering late night prayers in a mosque in the Maskai area of Dir in North West Frontier Province.
Provincial police sources told Dawn News channel that 12 people were confirmed dead and some 40 injured.
The toll was feared to rise as many of the injured were in critical condition, according to the report.
The Geo TV put the toll at 25 citing official sources.
Maskai is a far-flung village located on the Afghan border and no ambulance service is available there. Locals were moving the dead and injured to hospital in nearby town of Timergrih in private vehicles.
The motive behind the attack was unclear.
- 16 killed in Kenya church attacks - Jul 01, 2012
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Taliban assault on Lahore mosques ends, 72 dead - May 28, 2010
- 13 killed in Iraq violence - Mar 13, 2012
- 25 killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- 25 killed in Pakistan bus attack (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Intelligence official shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 02, 2012
- Four injured in Kashmir attack (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sikkim quake toll rises to 40 - Sep 20, 2011
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Violent incidents in Pakistan since Osama's killing - May 23, 2011
- Blast in Pakistani mosque kills 30 (Lead) - Jun 05, 2009
- Five die in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012