12 killed as Ukraine helicopter crashes in Black SeaMarch 28th, 2008 - 12:29 am ICT by admin
Kiev, March 27 (DPA) A Ukrainian helicopter crashed in the Black Sea Thursday killing 12 people and leaving only one survivor, officials at Ukraine’s Border Troops command said. It happened in the northwestern Black Sea, near the mouth of the Danube river.
A total 13 people, three flight crew and 10 passengers, had been aboard the aircraft at the time of the crash. Eleven of the dead were border security staff, and other person killed was a civilian.
The identity of the single survivor was not immediately made public.
The Ukrainian border troops Mi-8 helicopter had been carrying personnel and two tonnes of supplies to Zmeyniy Island, a rocky outcrop some 60 km south of the Danube’s mouth.
The flight from the mainland to Zmeyniy Island by Mi-8 lasts approximately 45 minutes. It was not clear when exactly, or for what reason, the helicopter had crashed.
The downed helicopter was visible in shallow water, and had apparently almost reached the island before hitting the water, witnesses said.
Two motor launches and a pair of helicopters participated in a search of the area.
Ukraine has seen unsettled weather in recent days, with snows even in lowlands and temperatures hovering slightly above freezing, alternating with sunny weather with temperatures at 10-13 degrees centigrade.
- Russia, Ukraine reach pact in sea border talks - Jun 05, 2011
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Air Arabia to connect 13 Indian cities to Odessa - Sep 05, 2012
- Four killed in combat chopper crash in Russia - Sep 09, 2012
- 19 killed as Ukraine helicopter crashes into drilling rig - Apr 28, 2008
- EIB lends EUR 115.5 million for investments in Ukraine - Feb 04, 2010
- Two Ugandan military helicopters crash-land in Kenya - Aug 13, 2012
- Ukraine enjoys Euro 2012 tourism windfall - Jun 19, 2012
- India to induct latest Russian military chopper - Feb 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ukraine could miss Shevchenko against England - Jun 18, 2012
- Cold wave kills over 40 in Ukraine - Feb 02, 2012
- Latest Russian chopper to join IAF (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Ukrainians go on winter holiday - to Goa! - Jan 20, 2011
- Helicopter crashes into Black Sea drilling rig, 19 dead (Lead) - Apr 28, 2008