12 killed, 23 injured in a West Bengal mall fireMay 17th, 2008 - 1:18 am ICT by admin
Kolkata, May 16 (IANS) Twelve people were killed and 23 others injured in a fire that raged through a three-storey shopping mall in North 24-Parganas district in West Bengal Friday. Additional Superintendent of Police (Barrackpore) Praveen Tripathy told newspersons that welding work in a garment factory located inside the mall is suspected to have caused the fire.
“The mall did not have any fire fighting system and the number of casualties shot up as some people pulled down the shutters after the blaze broke out,” Tripathy said.
Around 50 people were inside the mall when the incident occurred.
The injured have been admitted to the Panihati Government Hospital and a private nursing home.
Fire Services Minister Pratim Chatterjee, who visited the spot, said that five fire tenders put out the blaze within a short time.
“The presence of highly inflammable materials and huge stock of garments resulted in the fire spreading rapidly,” he said. The injured included fire fighters, he added.
Kolkatta and its adjoining areas have been in the news several times in the past six months due to fire-related mishaps.
In January, a 13-storey building housing the city’s biggest wholesale market in the commercial hub of Burrabazar, suffered extensive damage after a fire raged for nearly a week.
Last month, a blaze reduced Asia’s largest wholesale market to rubble.
- Six dead in China shop fire - Aug 25, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata's Burrabazar market - Jul 08, 2012
- Fire at cosmetic shop - Mar 16, 2011
- Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurt - Nov 26, 2011
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- 16-year jail for official in Shanghai fire incident - Aug 02, 2011
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- Japan's 'miracle survivor' story turns out to be fake - Mar 20, 2011
- 17 die, 24 hurt in Beijing blaze (Lead) - Apr 25, 2011
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Dhaka factory blaze toll rises to 25 - Dec 15, 2010
- Four killed in Delhi warehouse fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Five killed in Turkey building fire - Jan 23, 2012
- Seven killed in Japan hotel fire - May 13, 2012
- Pakistan factory blast toll rises to 11 - Feb 07, 2012