12 killed, 18 missing as typhoon hits PhilippinesJune 21st, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, June 21 (DPA) At least 12 people were killed Saturday and some 18 reported missing as a powerful typhoon hit a large area of the Philippines, officials said. Ten people drowned before dawn and 12 remained missing when flashfloods swept away houses near the bank of the Rifao river in South Upi town in Maguindanao province, 930 km south of Manila, according to village councillor Joy Veles.
“The river overflowed shortly after midnight so the people residing near the river bank were asleep when their houses were swept away,” she said.
An eight-year-old girl and her grandfather were buried under a landslide at a dumpsite in the southern city of Cotabato, 930 km south of Manila, after overnight rain induced by typhoon Fengshen, the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) said.
The NDCC added six more people remained missing when rivers overflowed in the nearby towns of Alamada and Guindulungan.
The NDCC said Fengshen triggered heavy rains in eastern, central and southern provinces that caused landslides and mudslides as well as flashfloods.
More than 200,000 people in low-lying areas were evacuated as floodwaters submerged large areas in the central cities of Iloilo and Bacolod and the southern provinces of Maguindanao and Sultan Kudarat.
Fengshen, with a maximum wind speed of 140 km an hour and gusts of up to 170 km per hour, was spotted off the coast of Kalibo in the central province of Aklan, 360 km south of Manila.
Several domestic flights were cancelled and inter-island ferry services were suspended, stranding thousands of passengers.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo conferred Saturday with cabinet officials to ensure the smooth flow of relief operations in the typhoon-affected areas.
- Typhoon hits Philippines, kills one - Oct 31, 2009
- Toll in Philippine typhoon reaches 65 - Jul 17, 2010
- 16 dead as typhoon batters Philippines (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Typhoon Parma kills 17 in the Philippines - Oct 04, 2009
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- 18 dead as typhoon Chan-Hom hits Philippines (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Typhoon Megi makes landfall in Philippines with winds of 140 mph - Oct 18, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- Arroyo lifts martial law in Philippine province - Dec 12, 2009
- Philippine typhoon toll crosses 490 (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Four dead as Typhoon Conson batters Philippines - Jul 14, 2010
- Shanghai closes major bridges as typhoon sweeps past - Aug 07, 2011
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011