12 injured in grenade attack in Assam market (Lead)March 25th, 2009 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, March 25 (IANS) At least 12 people were injured, two of them seriously, in a powerful grenade explosion Wednesday at a crowded marketplace in India’s restive northeastern state of Assam, officials said.
A police spokesman said militants riding a motorcycle lobbed the grenade around 7.10 p.m. in the heart of Tezpur town, about 180 km north of Assam’s main city of Guwahati.
“The area was teeming with evening shoppers and vendors, including security personnel, when the explosion took place,” police official A. Das said.
“According to initial reports 12 people, including a paramilitary trooper, were injured in the attack.”
The injured were shifted to hospitals with multiple injuries.
“Condition of at least two of the injured is stated to be critical,” the official said.
Police blamed the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) for the attack.
“The ULFA is trying to make its presence felt ahead of the general elections in Assam,” Das said.
The two-phased elections in Assam are scheduled April 16 and April 23.
- Three injured in Assam blast - Jan 02, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- 50 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA attack on Congress office injures three (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- 100 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Third Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Landmine blast kills four CRPF men in Assam (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Five blasts rock Assam, eight killed, 60 injured (Third Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Grenade attack on Assam Rifles patrol van in Manipur, 3 injured - Nov 19, 2009
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Blast injures two in Assam (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Twin blasts rocks Assam, five killed, 50 injured (Second Lead) - Nov 22, 2009