12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede (Lead)January 14th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 14 (IANS) At least 12 people, including four women, were killed in a stampede during a religious gathering in Madhya Pradesh’s Ratlam district early Saturday, an official said.
Chehallum is observed after 40 days of Muharram by a Muslim sect at Hussain Tekri in Ratlam district, 300 km from here. Thousands take part in the annual congregation.
Unlike in the past, a single gate was erected leading to a fire oven on which faithfuls walk. A number of people tried to enter it, resulting in the stampede.
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced Rs.1 lakh compensation to the kin of those killed. He ordered an inquiry into the incident.
Ratlam Collector Rajendra Kumar Sharma announced Rs.10,000 compensation for those killed and Rs.5,000 for the injured.
- 12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede - Jan 14, 2012
- 13 people from Madhya Pradesh killed in two accidents - Apr 06, 2012
- 13 drowned as boat capsizes on Chambal river - Nov 13, 2011
- Nine killed in Madhya Pradesh accident - May 19, 2009
- Four killed in Madhya Pradesh road accident - Aug 16, 2009
- Eight students, teacher die in Madhya Pradesh accident - Nov 09, 2009
- Eight dead in Indore explosives factory blast - Oct 06, 2011
- 10 killed in Bihar temple stampede (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Another farmer commits suicide in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 11, 2011
- Seven Sabarimala injured admitted to Tamil Nadu hospital - Jan 15, 2011
- Blast in home kills seven in Madhya Pradesh - Sep 30, 2011
- Five women killed in Haryana stampede (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- 16 die in Uttar Pradesh bus tragedy (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Centre playing politics over Pratapgarh incident: Mayawati - Mar 10, 2010
- Death toll rises to four in Madhya Pradesh blast - Feb 16, 2010