11 workers presumed dead in Sikkim tunnel floodingApril 17th, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Gangtok, April 17 (IANS) At least 11 labourers are missing, and presumed dead, after a tunnel they were working in was flooded by waters from the Rangpo river in Sikkim, police said Friday.
Superintendent of Police (East) M.S. Tuli said more than 20 labourers in the 1,100- meter tunnel at a power project at the Rangpo Dam in east Sikkim were rescued but 11 are still unaccounted for.
“There is no chance that the labourers could have survived but we are looking for the bodies. The work is proving difficult because of the tremendous amount of water inside the tunnel. At present, we are pumping out the water which is also a tedious process,” Tuli said.
The incident took place 10.30 p.m. Thursday, he said.
“The cause of the sudden flow of water into the tunnels has to be verified and weather conditions could possibly have played some role. But as of now, we have registered a case of criminal negligence against the developers,” he said.
- 5 bodies recovered from flooded Sikkim power plant tunnel - Apr 20, 2009
- Sikkim authorities battle to retrieve dead bodies from under collapsed dam - Apr 18, 2009
- Sikkim NCP chief's son held with 'unaccounted' cash - Apr 24, 2009
- Labourer killed in Udaipur lift accident - Apr 13, 2012
- Tourist killed as vehicle falls into ravine in Sikkim - Jun 17, 2011
- Vice President lays foundation stone of first ever railway line in Sikkim - Oct 30, 2009
- Rahul visits quake injured in Sikkim - Sep 21, 2011
- Rivulet gushes out while digging Rohtang tunnel - Jun 04, 2012
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- 500 tourists stranded in Sikkim due to landslides - Jun 01, 2010
- 25 dead in earthquake: Home secretary - Sep 19, 2011
- 17 killed in Sikkim landslides (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Quake-hit Sikkim puts toll at 23, surveys horror - Sep 19, 2011
- 16 killed in Sikkim landslides (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- `Cuba's water treatment system needs to be fixed' - Jul 21, 2012