11 Turkish generals held for 1997 coupMay 10th, 2012 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, May 10 (IANS) Police in Turkey Thursday detained 11 army generals - four retired and seven in service - for their alleged involvement in a coup in 1997, a media report said.
The military personnel were investigated for the coup Feb 28, 1997, when the army forced a popularly-elected coalition government to resign, Xinhua reported citing the website of Turkish newspaper Today’s Zaman.
The suspects are accused of playing a major role in the coup and will be detained at Sincan Prison and Mamak Military Prison, according to the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court.
They may face life imprisonment on charges of crimes against the state.
The Turkish military has unseated the government several times since the 1960s.
Currently, hundreds of active-duty or retired military personnel, including former chief of general staff Gen. Ilker Basbug, are on trial over coup charges.
- 49 Turkish military officers arrested over suspected coup plot - Feb 23, 2010
- Turkish military plane crashes in Mediterranean - Jun 22, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- Two former Army Generals charged in 2003 plot to topple Turkish Govt. - Feb 27, 2010
- Turkey seized 11 tonnes of hashish in 2011 - Dec 17, 2011
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Avadesh Prakesh senior-most officer to be dismissed from Army (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Turkey allowed US to use airbase to take suspected terrorists to Guantánamo Bay - Jan 18, 2011
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- Gilani sacks defence secretary, takes on army (Intro Night Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Gilani sacks Defence Secretary, takes on army (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- Turkey flying in Indian envoy's body - Mar 12, 2011
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- Minefield of controversies lie in next army chief's way (Comment) - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: 1960s, active duty, ankara, army generals, coalition government, coup, crimes against the state, criminal court, general staff, ilker, life imprisonment, military personnel, military prison, several times, turkey, turkish generals, turkish military, xinhua